Health and Curls is an annual event organized by Averys Naturals and Bio. Averys Naturals and Bio is distributor of skin, hair, health care products and organic foods and teas. During this event, healthy living practices and how to keep healthy hair are shared just to mention a few.
This year’s edition dubbed, “FIT, FRO AND SEXY,” was held on Saturday, 15th July, 2017 at Osu, Accra. It was actually my first time attending the event so I was very excited to be a part of it. Yes! My very first natural hair event ever since I embarked on my natural hair journey.
Speakers and panellists for discussion for the event included Anita Deh (Naturally Ann), Linda Fafa Akorli (Babylin Consult), Laurie Frimpong, Laura Asimeng of alorrrs.wordpress.com , Dr. Karen Quaye (C.E.O, Averys Naturals and Bio), Salomey Kokoro (Registered Dietitian CEO RD Sali), Barbara Aessie Kportufe of afrocabello.com and Charity Mensah (Ghanaian Emprezz).
The programme started per my watch at 9:30am with a presentation on Natural Hair Abuse by Barbara Aessie Kportufe followed with another by Charity Mensah (Ghanaian Emprezz) on Healthy Hair Regimen. Salomey Kokoro presented on Health and Fitness. Dr. Karen Quaye also presented on Testicular Cancer
After all presentations were panel discussions. Some of the topics for discussions included;
1. IS NATURAL HAIR EXPENSIVE TO KEEP?
2. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PROTEIN TREATMENT AND DEEP CONDITIONING?
3. HAIR SUPPLEMENTS AND HAIR GROWTH
4. IS ROBB FOR HAIR GROWTH?
5. BEARD HEALTH
6. DOES WEARING WIGS OR HAIR EXTENSIONS MEAN SELF-BETRAYAL ?
7. CARING FOR YOUR HAIR IN PROTECTIVE STYLES
8. CARING FOR YOUR EDGES
9. PARACETAMOL AND PAINS FROM TIGHT HAIRSTYLES
10. TESTICULAR CANCER
LESSONS FROM Hnc ’17
1. To have a healthy hair regimen, some factors like time, budget etc affect it. If you don’t have time allocated to give your hair a treat; for example protein treatments, oil treatment, shampooing, trimming of split ends and the like, your hair is not going to be healthy. Take a flower for instance. If you don’t water your flower it will die.
2. Healthy hair has nothing to do with length. Length is just a bonus of having healthy hair; effect sort of.
3. Portion control is key in eating healthy. A plate of food should at least contain half portion of vegetables, quarter portion of protein and quarter portion of carbohydrates.
4. Dieting does not mean starving.
5. Eating healthy should include foods we know about; that is foods that we know what nutrients they contain. You don’t want to make smoothies or salads and end up wasting money.
6. Testicular Cancer symptoms include enlarged testes, burning sensation during urination etc. A man having these symptoms must go to the hospital to be checked by a doctor to confirm.
WHAT I LIKED ABOUT Hnc ’17
1. The fact that registration was online made entering the venue easy. I got there, mentioned my name and they already had my details. Only few event planners do this and to me its a plus.
2. The fact that there were food and drinks. The duration of the program was long and you can imagine if there was no food.😆
3. The provision of stands to market hair, beauty, skin, health brands was a good initiative especially towards the “support made in Ghana products course”.
4. The fact that men health-related topic was discussed.
Below are snippets of Hnc in pictures.
See you next year!❤