Did you know that we have Bentonite clay in Ghana? Personally, I never knew we had it in our country until recently. I found out Bentonite clay is the same as shile or ayilo as the Fantes and Gas respectively put it. Bentonite Clay is a natural clay; natural volcanic ash. It produces negative electric charge when water is added to it. It was discovered at Fort Benton, Wyoming. Thus its name Bentonite. Most pregnant women are often seen eating this clay. I personally don’t advise that. I must say you have to consult your doctor before you try it if you get pregnant.
Some people also choose to have a Bentonite Clay bath.
Bentonite Clay has some benefits to the our health; internally and externally. This article shall briefly list some benefits of bentonite clay to our health specifically the skin (external ) and thereafter go through a DIY bentonite clay mask.
BENEFITS OF BENTONITE CLAY TO THE SKIN
1. It removes blackheads
2. It removes toxins or infections on the skin
3. It treats acne
4. It reduces the presence of scars on the skin
5. It gives a soft and glowing skin.
NOW CAN WE START DOING OUR SHILE MASK? LOL!😅
DIY BENTONITE CLAY MASK
-You need bentonite clay. You can get it in the markets. NB: Look out for quality. They’re normally ash in colour and are in bullet form as seen above. However, some are in powdery form. When wet, it takes the broken-white to light brown colour.
-Water or apple cider vinegar
1. Soak bullets of Bentonite clay in a small amount of water…I use a small cupful of water for 5 bullets of Bentonite clay. You can use cider vinegar in place of water
2. Mash with washed hands the soaked till you have a smooth consistency.
NB: DO NOT MASH IT WITH A METALIC SPOON. BENTONITE CLAY PRODUCES NEGATIVE ELECTRIC CHARGE WHEN WATER IS ADDED TO IT.
- You can drain the excess water away. The consistency should be creamy as well.
3. Viola! Your bentonite clay mask is ready! Apply to affected area. Do not go near your eyes and hair edges.
4. Let the mixture sit on the affected area for minimum 15-20 minutes or maximum an
hour depending on how sensitive your skin is.
You can wear bentonite clay mask everyday or 3 times a week. You decide!
Emma, one of my loves tried it. Hope you try it too. Nature is the best.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
HOPE YOU TRY IT
Find naturallyhappykinkyhair on Instagram
and on Facebook
E-mail us on email@example.com
Hannah Kwaw-Yankson is founder of naturallyhappykinkyhair, a proud African; Ghanaian who dedicates most of her free time to educating young African women on natural hair, lifestyle and health. She big chopped in 2014 and has since been using her natural hair journey and that of volunteers to achieve the fore-mentioned. She does this through writing of articles, hairstyles tutorials, DIYs just to mention a few. Find naturallyhappykinkyhair on Facebook, Instagram, Google+ etc. Aricles from the general public are welcome. Mail them to naturallyhappykinkyhair.yahoo.com.